The B-2 classification is appropriate for those planning to visit the United States for pleasure. The intent at the time of the visa application and admission must be to engage in a purely temporary visit, followed by departure from the U.S.
The B-2 category is appropriate for:
tourism, social visits, certain medical treatments, and participation in amateur sports, music and related events.
This category is also used for domestic partners not in a marital relationship, to accompany their qualifying partners.
In addition to the requirements common to all applying for the visitor visa to the United States, B-2 visa applicants must:
- Ability to show the U.S. visit as purely temporary and for activities permitted under the B-2
- If for medical treatment, documentation of the need for treatment in the United States and the financial ability to pay for the treatment
B-2 visitors generally are admitted to the United States for an initial admission period of six months. However, port of entry officers can further limit the admission period based on the purpose of the visit, one’s U.S. travel history and other considerations.
In some situations, it is possible to obtain extensions of B-2 stay beyond the initial admission period. However, it is necessary to establish the need to extend the visit in a manner consistent with the B-2 requirements.
How We Can Help You
- For those within the United States, we advise as to options for obtaining a change to or extension of the B-2 from within the United States, and represent individuals in connection with changes or extensions of status, if appropriate.
- For individuals outside the U.S., we provide assistance and advice related to B-2 visa applications at U.S. consulates. We assist in appropriate cases involving prior denials and prior immigration violations.
- Our affiliate in Delhi, Anand and Subash Immigration Services, Pvt. Ltd, in provides representation and guidance with visa matters, including routine and more complex B-2 visa applications.
- We assisted repeatedly denied B-2 visa clients get B-1 visa
Copyright © 2015, The Law Office of Anand K. Verma, Immigration Attorney, Houston TX 77044
Disclaimer : The information provided on this website is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or under all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.