Many people get Green Cards (become permanent residents) through family members. You may be eligible to get a Green Card as:

  • Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen: This includes;
    •  spouses,
    • unmarried children under the age of 21, and
    • parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older
  • Family member of a U.S. citizen fitting into a preference category: this includes;
    • unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21,
    • married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older
  • Family member of a green card holder: this includes;
    • spouses and unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder
  • Special category: this can include;
    •  battered spouse or child (VAWA),
    • K nonimmigrant,
    • person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States,
    • V nonimmigrant or
    • widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen


  • The sponsoring relative must file a petition (Form I-130) on behalf of the qualifying foreign national relative. If the relative is outside the U.S., the immigrant visa case will proceed via consular processing.
  • Immediate relatives require an I-130 filing for each sponsored family member.
  • Sufficient documentation of the qualifying family relationship must be provided.
  • Family-based cases generally require an affidavit of support.


We will help you

  • We can assist in preparation for and representation at interviews at USCIS offices or U.S. consulates.
  • We also advise with regard to legal issues and may assist in all types of family-based immigration cases at local USCIS offices, service centers, and U.S. consulates abroad.



What is the process for bringing my relatives in America?

Can I bring my fiancée?

What is the difference between Adjustment of Status and consular processing?

What if my green card is lost?

When do I renew my Green Card?


Copyright © 2015, The Law Office of Anand K. Verma, Immigration Attorney, Houston TX 77044

Disclaimer : The information provided on this website is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or under all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.