U.S. Citizenship is obtained either by birth, derivation or naturalization. U.S. citizens may live and work in the U.S. permanently, and cannot lose this status by extended travel abroad. U.S. citizens have many benefits and privileges, including the privilege of voting in U.S. elections. U.S. citizens may petition for the permanent resident status of their parents, spouses, children and siblings.


  • Generally, 5 years in permanent resident status [Three years may be sufficient for those married to U.S. citizens.]
  • Generally, physical presence, continuity of residence, and good moral character standards
  • Satisfactory exam results in U.S. government, history, and civics as well as the ability to speak, read, and write English
  • There are some exceptions to the testing requirements based upon age and duration of permanent residency, as well as medical limitations.

How We Can Help You

  • We provide assistance in determining an individual’s eligibility for U.S. citizenship through naturalization, and we represent individuals in filing their application for naturalization.
  • We guide those planning future naturalization with issues impacting eligibility, such as extended travel.
  • Naturalization by birth or derivation can present complex situations. In such cases, we assess the merits and proof of the claim. When appropriate, we represent individuals seeking certificates of Citizenship


Copyright © 2015, The Law Office of Anand K. Verma, Immigration Attorney, Houston TX 77044

Disclaimer : The information provided on this website is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or under all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.